Friday, January 08, 2010

Tempting the Fates (or the evil pussy cat, whichever!)

Now now, dont be surprised, tis a post from me, again in the same month even... what is going on with the world, has it gone crazy??? I intend *cough*cough* to blog about my finishes or even flimsies, so at the end of the year, I can actually say 'Holy crap I did finish some stuffs'.. so without further ado...

I have been playing with blocks this week.. Once a year I go to quilty retreat with about 150 of my closest friends.. now this is always fraught with a little apprehension, as I dont like crowds.. thinking about it even now, I get that heart in the throat feeling, but I go each year and have fun each year and get a wee bit tipsy (sometimes drunk even).. and I sign up again for the following year! This year we are off to Bathurst, which is about a 5 hr drive from here :O)

Anyhoo in thinking of the retreat, I thought I'd better work on my signature squares from the LAST retreat (of course the year before and the year before that aren't finished but we wont go there)... Last year was half square triangles the theme was 'wine and roses'.. the colours had to be wine or rose coloured and batik (or rose)...




This is my first layout.. I thought hmm its so-so.. went to get a drink and a snack.. and come back to this....I know I was very very stupid.. I mean, he was EYEING off the blocks in the pic above, but sheesh from quilt layout to destruction in seconds... I swear he must be speedy gonzales! :O)

well seeing tho the booger cat didn't like this layout.. I tried this...

what do you think??? I think I like it.. the four that make up the pinwheel's are my roomies and I at the retreat.. I have a bit of fiddling with colour placement, but I am happy with this..

I also finished these two tops this week, and they have been posted off for a quilty holiday already... The first top is the blocks from the 9 patch swap I did with Christine last year..I am very happy with this.. I did try blue and also red as the alternating block but the brown sets it off nicely.. this will be a lap quilt for the lounge (we have big laps here)


This quilt top is from an AP&Q magazine from early last year.. it was supposed to have a 'pie border' (english paper pieced circles) now I just knew I'd never get it finished so I added more blocks to make this quilt humungous.. its a very very large twin size, I just added a very small float of 1" and then another border which I'll trim back to 3".. I think it looks good... my eldest boy likes it so I might have to share!


Speaking of booger cats (he is no longer a ba$tard cat by the way, he has been very loving this week, he is not a friendly cat at all, but he has been wanting to sit near me, and follow me around and snuggle next to me when I am watching TV.. I know, he must be on some chill pills or something!) The kids think this pic is funny, cause you can't see his legs or tail, its all there peeps.. the kids call it 'octocat' but alas, a cat doesn't have eight legs silly kids, but its still funny.. this is cosmo's fave sleeping position...


This is his other fave spot to sleep.. I chopped my sons head off, as he'd KILL me if I put his ugly mug on my blog.... he has just had most of his hair chopped off.. he has one of those 'rock band' hair do's now.. oh the joys of almost 16 year olds.. I shouldn't complain as 3 years ago, he wouldn't brush his hair or wash it without us nagging him, now I am always looking for my hair straightener! The beast's hair 4 months ago, was longer than mine and was heading to his waist.. he had 8" off last hair cut! its lovely hair though.. If only his 14 yo brother would look after his hair.. boys eh??? anyhoo... here is a pic of Cosmo the no-so-bastard-cat in his fave spot in the world... awoken by the beast for the photo opportunity! (yes it is a shoebox a smallish shoebox for a very large fluffy-bastard-cat)

well off to do some sewing and some washing.. we have sunshine today after 3 weeks of very iffy weather.. of course sunshine after 3 weeks of raining makes 1. the grass grow VERY long and 2. makes the weather very muggy :O( muggy = poopy weather.. Dags mowed the lawn on Thursday and I swear it needs doing again.. Miss Smelly is off to her friends for a swim in the pool so I'd better get some clothes on.. apparently going out in the car in your pj's isn't acceptable it embaresses 12 yo's.. who would of thunk that???

take care and quilty huggers.. 'til next time


Lissa

20 comments:

Shay said...

Since I practically live in my pyjamas I can't see a problem what so ever with dropping your daughter off wearing them.

I'm a recent convert to your blog and am loving reading about your adventures. I have a cat with attitude too and can really identify with your tribulations with yours.

Can't wait to hear the next installment !

Mary-anne said...

I like the second layout better. Have almost got my sigg top
together as well. However my "pieceful" holiday has been interrupted by a boomerang child returning home.

Deborah Levy said...

Too funny! The booger cat did a good job....I much prefer the after arrangement (with the pinwheel, not the scattered effect, lol).

He is beautiful though, even if he is a booger...

Thimbleanna said...

You're hysterical! You REALLY need to post more often. I love the second layout of your blocks -- that cat has great taste!

Cathy said...

Hi Lissa Jane, Just spent some time snooping around your blog...you have some lovely reproduction quilts! Love your 9 patch too...I hope Christine does this again! Have a great weekend, Cathy

Vickie said...

ooh my goodness -thought my eyes wa splaying tricks on me -when my mail said lissa has posted...goooooooooolllllyy..way to go girl oh I like the second layout how striking...and your others are awesome way too go...oh I can't believe he got a haircut...hope to see you in type again real soon,cheers Vickie

Heidi said...

Soo funny!

Your quilts are gorgeous!

We are happy that you are joining us for the Sew-in on the 15th. Can't wait to see what you work on.

Bernadette said...

well I nearly fell over backwards to see ANOTHER post on your blog!!! quilts are looking good, love the one from the mag and of course the nine patch one.

Jackie's Stitches said...

I love the pinwheel layout and I especially love that you used your and your roommates blocks for the center! Really special!

Jodie said...

Great post!!! You really need to do it more often...

Hugs
Jodie :)

Michelle said...

LOL....bastard cat know's what he likes....the pinwheel looks brilliant...

Cheers Michelle

Cathi said...

Cosmo was helping you come up with a great quilt layout!! He is a gorgeous kitty -- and so is your joint quilt creation!

Nicole & Phil said...

I think the devil cat did you a favour....the pinwheel design looks fantastic!!!!!

Wendy said...

(Here from Green Fairy's blog)
Oh! I thought I liked the first layout... Until I saw the second!
I am LOVIN' the spiraling pinwheel! It's beautiful!
=-)

Lindi said...

Cosmo's The Man! or at least, The Cat! Definitely knows what he's about. :)

sewkalico said...

I think the cat knew what was good for you - the new layout is stunning! Love your other 2 tops too!

Cath Ü said...

Love the second layout... see the cat knew.... so all along he has just been helping you... LOL

So good to be reading your posts and having a good chuckle again... please keep it up... you sure do pick busy quilts to make... but keep that up too as I love to look...
Cath Ü

Tracy said...

So pretty! You are brave to try the on point one! You should come to California next January for the Road to California show! You can stay with me! :) We would have great fun!

Chris the Quilter said...

LOL!!

master 13-nearly-14 (and who washes frequently, has random girls tell him he's cute) thinks master nearly 16 still looks like a girl ; > )

cosmo has great quilty taste, and despite what you think, you have achieved a lot in the past few days/weeks

Julia said...

Quilts look great..love your nine patch setting and the mag quilt...
I think we have pretty much the same tastes in quilting!
Julia ♥