Sunday, April 18, 2010

Friday Night Stitch In - April

Hello possums...

first off, I thought I'd show you all a pic of my baby.. Now like most babies this one is more like a toddler than a baby.. it doesn't behave itself all the time and needs a stern talking too occassionally (although I dont think I ever swore at my 2 yo's) I have had it for yikes, six months now and it cost me a couple of weeks pay.. the automatic scissors are brilliant (when they work and dont unthread the whole $%#*& machine) and the automatic presser foot lowering is lovely (cept when the machine is feeling bullimic) but it SEWS beautifully and behaves itself more than the Janome piece of crap I owned.. that machine wasn't A lemon more like an ORCHARD of them...

OK now to friday night sew in.. I am sorry I can't show you the front this is my retreat challenge quilt and a few of the retreatees visit my blog so I cannot show it, but this is the back! LOL
I had this quilt booked at in a local quilt store months ago, I dropped it in when I said I would and they informed me 'that they couldn't quilt it'.. now was I upset? um you betcha! Because of my knee injury crawling around on the floor is not an option I cannot baste a quilt even if my life depended on it, I just can't do it.. I dont quilt tops very often as I dont have the time or the inclination.. I was very disappointed, and then remembered a lady who gave me a magnet for her quilting business three years before, and even better, it was still stuck on the fridge! Rang her Monday, dropped it in Monday and picked it up Friday.. the ironic thing is, she owns the EXACT machine the shop does and had no problems quilting it... if you are in Newcastle NSW you can go HERE for more information.. If you aren't in Newcastle, she is happy to do mail orders for her quilting service in Australia...


OK onto my next project... my Farmers Wife Sampler Quilt blocks.. I have had a little frustration with these blocks, the first set of templates were printed incorrectly, my printer had scaled them..... so i had to reprint the whole 103 pages again.. frustrating?yes.. I think this problem could be alleviated by having a one inch square on the .pdf page and you could see and measure the first printed one was correct... Pics are a bit dark, cause I take crap pics... LOL

I have a few more cut out ready to go.. My gripe with this quilt is there is no pattern.. not one of the templates has a measurement on it.. very frustrating but I think the frustration is worth it.. I'll put more pics up when I get more done.. I am machine piecing this, and I am becoming an expert at unsewing real fast!

Yesterday I went to see "Wicked" in Sydney, I liked it (can't say I LOVED it but I thought it was good) but Missymoo aged 12 3/4's didnt' like it at all, too much singing apparently.. um I explained it was a musical and thats what happens.. she enjoyed shopping at Paddy's Markets and the factory outlets before hand much more! kids eh???

well thats enough from me, I have probably bored you shiteless if you have got this far!

Lissa

PS that pic of my sewing machine, thats my sewing 'area'.. I dont have a sewing room, my machine sits on top of an old singer treadle.. thats it... one day when one of the kids move out or when Dags (aka super DH) finishes my shed I might get more space than treadle machine top!

8 comments:

Vickie said...

great to see you productive and posting hehehe...hmm so your new machine has a smile on your dial 1/3 of the time eh? great to hear....good to read that someone was able to quilt for you..liking the farmers wife blocks not liking there is no pattern-but happily liking I can watch your progress...all the best for tomorrow,cheers Vickie

Lindi said...

Thanks for the heads up, Lissa! Where abouts is she?

Cathi said...

Your posts always make me laugh!! Did the quilt shop give you a reason why they couldn't quilt it? Not nice!
I don't have a sewing room either -- which may be why I do so much by hand! LOL

Jazy said...

Hello Stranger!! Where is that Farmers Wife Sampler? did you find it online or buy it somewhere! some pple need to know (ok I need to know!)

Heidi said...

I love the blocks from the Farmers Wife book! Can't wait to see your blocks. I want to make some myself.

p.s. that's a pretty baby you have too.

Thimbleanna said...

You've been a busy girl! And you always crack me up. Your blocks look great -- even if you had to kill a few trees to get to them. And I KNEW I liked you -- us Viking girls have to stick together!!!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

You are just too funny! Glad you got your quilt done and glad your new machine is acting somewhat civilized. Oh they can be so touchy sometimes! hee,hee,hee.

Bernadette said...

well they might be a pain but they look gorgeous. love the machine!